Sukhoi Su-27, Su-27UB, Su-27SK
|Country / user:||
Ityop'iya Federalawi Demokrasiyawi Ripeblik = Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia
Ityop'iya Ayer Hayl = Ethiopian Air Force (EAF)
unknown number (about 10; up to 15) of Su-27, Su-27UB, Su-27SK
11.1998-01.1999: 6 x Su-27 + 2 x Su-27UB (1 x Su-27SK lost in 1999, replaced by Su-27UBK)
2002: 4 x Su-27SK and 2 x Su-27UBK from Russia
2003: 3 x Su-27P from Ukraine
KnAAPO and IAPO
Debre Zeyit air base, near Adis Abeba
Su-27SK: 1951, 1964, 1965, 1968
Su-27UBK: 1901, 1907, 1908, 1909
Su-27P: 1961 (Ukrainian)
- Eight sukhois were bought in Russia, taken from 797th Fighter Regiment in Kyshchevskaya, overhauled in 275 ARZ in Krasnodar and upgraded to Su-27SK standard. In January 1999 one was destroyed in Adis-Abeba during demonstration flight, Russian pilot Viatcheslav Myzin survive, but Ethiopian pilot was killed. Russia delivered another airplane instead (Su-27UBK).
- In 90's war with Eritrea. Eritrean MiGs fight with Ethiopian Su-27s. Some (2-5) MiGs were shot-down.
- In 1999 Asther Tolossa find her place in aviation history, as first woman who shot down jet airplane (Eritrean MiG-29) in dog-fight.
- Next 6 Su-27SK and Su-27UBK bought in Russia in 2002 are from Russian air force surplus. Airplanes were transported from Krasnodar air base (overhauled in 275 ARZ) to Ethiopia. The airplanes are slighlty upgraded to Su-27SK standard by KnAAPO.
- In 2003 three Su-27P was bought in Ukraine (splinter camouflage), overhauled in ZARZ.
- Ethiopian Sukhois were overhauled in 275th ARZ in Krasnodar.
- Since 2011 (at least) Ethiopian Sukhois have new roundel.
Apparently I've miss something: at least since 2011 Ethiopian Air Force has a new roundel. Sukhois were overhauled in Russia, in Krasnodar Repair Factory. Drawing (from December 2013) is schematic, based on some poor quality footage from Ethiopian TV and photos of Russian Sukhois overhauled in Krasnodar.
© 2008-2018 Mariusz Wojciechowski, Słupsk (Poland)